I just finished listening to one of my finance podcast subscriptions (A Stacking Benjamins episode) and the hosts and guests were discussing educational board games. Not heavily educational to the point of being boring, repetitive or easily outgrown, but just educational enough to spark an interest in learning in a subject. It turns out that Stacking Benjamins have covered educational board games twice before here and here.
Some games that I already enjoy and would recommend:
- Splendor – Collect gems, requires planning and budgeting.
- You’re Bluffing! – Cattle trading game.
- Ticket to Ride – A good introduction to these types of games that are a bit more complicated than the typical Hasbro type American board games like Monopoly.
Games I have in the library and am looking forward to playing:
- Suburbia – Expand your meager neighborhood into a sprawling suburb to attract the most citizens.
- Stockpile – Bid, buy and sell stocks in this hidden-information game.
- Quadropolis – Send out your architects. Plan carefully as you build a bustling metropolis.
Games others have recommended and may be worth checking out:
- The Estates – Bid and build a new urban development in the city, but will your investments pay off?
- Modern Art Card Game – Assemble the most valuable art collection.
- Pan Am – Triumph in the golden age of air travel.
- Panamax – Manage your shipping company to cargo-carrying success.
- PARKS – Hike through National Parks tiles, collecting memories and admiring gorgeous scenery.
- The Quacks of Quedlinburg – Pull ingredients from your stock to make your pot bubble, but hopefully not explode!
- Trekking the National Parks: Second Edition – Players compete for points by claiming park cards and collecting trail stones as they travel to parks
- Food Chain Magnate S- trategically hire and manage your workforce to outcompete rival fast food chains.
- Gizmos – Gather energy marbles to build gizmos parts and trigger chain reactions and combos.
- Kitchen Rush – Juggle orders, prepare dishes, and stock the pantry to satisfy your hungry customers.
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Work together, with Friday, or alone to survive on a desert island
- T.I.M.E Stories – Protect the world from paradoxes with your team of time-traveling agents.
- Evolution – It’s survival of the fittest as you compete to become the dominant species!
- Kraftwagen – Build, sell, and race cars at the dawn of the automotive age.
- Jaipur – Trade and sell goods to become the most wealthy merchant in this short game for two.
- Chicago Express – Build track and buy stock to get the most money in this railroad race to Chicago.
- Startups – Invest in startups but beware – you only make money by controlling popular companies!